Search

October Book Haul 2017

A look at all of the books I’ve picked up recently. Everything mentioned is linked below. x

WRITING WORKSHOPS:

BOOK TOUR

MY BOOKS:

THE BEGINNING OF THE WORLD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
PRE-ORDER: (out 2nd November)
Signed copies:

Sign up for a behind the scenes newsletter at the bottom of this page:

FRANKLIN’S FLYING BOOKSHOP:

Eight Ghosts by Max Porter, Sarah Perry, Jeanette Winterson et al

What We See in the Stars

The Nutcracker by Shobhna Patel

The Rialto

Poetry Review

WHO I AM

Hello, my name’s Jen. I’m an award-winning poet and short story writer. My debut short story collection ‘The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night’ is forthcoming from Two Roads, November 2017, and my first children’s book, ‘Franklin’s Flying Bookshop,’ is published by Thames and Hudson. I’m also the author of the Sunday Times bestselling ‘Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops’ series, ‘The Bookshop Book’ and ‘The Hungry Ghost Festival.’

I run writing workshops, give talks at universities & book festivals on a variety of topics, judge literary prizes, and take on freelance writing and editing. If you would like to speak with me about the possibility of working together, please get in touch via email: jenvcampbell@gmail.com x

Where to find me:
Website:
Writing Workshops:
Twitter:
Instagram:
Events:
Podcast:
Facebook:
Goodreads:
Blog:

Email: jenvcampbell@gmail.com

(Since starting Youtube, some of you have been asking what’s wrong with my hands. This should answer any questions 🙂

NB This is not a sponsored video, and unless otherwise stated all books were bought by me.

31 Comments
  1. Jen Campbell

WRITING WORKSHOPS: http://www.jen-campbell.com/writing-workshops
    BOOK TOUR http://www.jen-campbell.com/events 🙂 xx

2. Carey Jane

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

The Rise and Fall of Adam and Eve sounds very interesting, I hope it is an entertaining read! That Nutcracker Pop-Up is GORGEOUS, a must have for the holiday season!

3. Hind Hussein

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

You're not nosy, you're curious !

4. The Nomad

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I've been reading through Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, which are excellent. I also recently finished listening to Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child on audiobook and absolutely loved it. Those paper cut outs are really stunning!

5. Olivia

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Thank you for the video! Currently reading 2666 by Roberto Bolaño. It has been quite a task, but one that I think will be worth it when I finish.

6. Shelley Carr

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Nice jumper! I wish you had a tour in the USA…

7. Ana The reader

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

At one point you say 'Franklin's Flying Bookshop' really quickly and I heard 'Frankenstein's Bookshop', let's just say I was very confused.

On another note, I read Franklin a few days ago and absolutely loved it! x

8. Laura Grillo

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

This was a great book haul! Entanglement: The Secret Lives of Hair sounds very interesting.

9. Belle Boucles

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Just come across your fantastic channel. How many books do you currently own?

10. Redbluemoon

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

One of my friends really loved Lullaby! Hope you'll love it as much as she did!
    I really would like to read The Book of Forgotten Authors and Eight Ghosts!! I'll look at Entanglement too!
    Thank you for these recommendations! X

11. Katrina Eames

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Those paper cut outs in the pop-up book are absolutely stunning

12. Aidan Girdy

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Oh, that's funny, not an hour ago I dropped into my local bookstore for a coffee because I was right next door, saw What We Seen in the Stars, and fell in love. Gorgeous little thing.

13. sofie

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

okay so atm i'm reading "the virgin suicides" and "strangers on a train", but when i've finished those two, i'm thinking of picking up "nutshell" by ian mcewan. and for poetry, i think i'm going to read "graffiti & other poems" by savannah brown soon. (do you know/like any of these books?) + the nutcracker book looks absolutely beautiful!!

14. Carmel Jordan

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

reading "And the band played on" . It's about the aids epidemic and how it got started. Heartbreaking week.

15. Julie Maloney

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I read Fire Girl when I was in the 5th grade. It was one of our school's book club books I believe, and I really remember some of the moments of that book vividly. I think if you're going into this book wanting to really see her side of the situation you're going to be disappointed, but I think as a kid I learned a lot about empathy from that book. Specifically, when the accident is described it really hit me. That scene still plays out in my head sometimes. And I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say whenever I am in a similar situation to her on that day I make sure that the exits are available. If you want to read something more from the point of view of a disabled character that is for a similar audience as Fire Girl (4th-6th grade) I would suggest Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper. I remember just flying through that one. Wonder is also usually recommended, but I just found the writing dull in that one. IDK maybe it was just because it was required reading and that took all the fun out of it.

16. Rose Reads

I love the sound of Eight Ghosts – that's such an interesting concept 🙂

17. Sophie Carlon

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I have entanglement on my shelves and really need to get to it soon!!

18. MaggieChatsBooks

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

Lovely haul!  The Nutcracker book is stunning.

19. Lisa Mody

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I would absolutely love to hear your recommendations for books on disability and deformity or with realistic representation of characters with disabilities/deformities. As someone with a physical disability, I agree that it is extremely hard to find books dealing with this topic that are not problematic in some way.

20. Saaniya M. Pandit

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I always end up feeling invigorated after watching your videos. Your online presence is most endearing 🙂

21. Mel's Bookland Adventures

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I pre-ordered that 99 author's book, I am fascinated by what gets forgotten. I should also be getting P.D.James Murderous Tales, a collection of her crime stories, I adored that woman and I probably have those stories in different editions, but alas, I want it anyway. Apart from that, I am just reading the worst thriller ever (as part of my Read Around World Bookclub reading female authors) but it's all for a good cause… Happy week to you.

22. emilia

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I've just moved to uni and your videos make it feel a bit more like home, so thank you!

23. agutterstar

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I saw Eight Ghosts over the weekend but didn't pick it up at the time, and now I'm regretting it! I shall add it to my TBR, I think. My TBR for October includes: Autumn by Ali Smith, Frankenstein, Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter, The Wonder by Emma Donoghue and finally, Janet Ellis' The Butcher's Hook. Quite a few of those have been influenced by your recommendations and celebrations of certain authors, so thank you!

24. Anna Shuk

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I have heard about Adam and Eve book before, but the rest of these are new to me. Excited to hear your thoughts on each of them.

Currently reading The Night Watch by David Dyer (it's a novel about the Titanic and Californian), Birds of a Lesser Paradise by Megan Mayhem Bergman (short stories) and the Autobiography of Malcolm X.

25. literaturegeek

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

That sweater looks so autumnal! 😀 Lovely.

26. literarydiversions

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

What We See is on its way to me right now and I am super excited, I cannot wait for its pretty goodness to fall on my doorstep. I'll also be checking out Eight Ghosts because we know how much I like a good haunting!

I'm reading Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates right now and I don't know how I haven't read it before, it is epic, and also It's All In Your Head which is about psychosomatic illness and recognising that it is a real illness in itself which is really refreshing.

CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE! My body is ready.

27. SunSwan

I love your channel!

28. katie reads

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I completely agree with your view about books that deal with disfigurement, in fact, I have just submitted my thesis which deals exactly with this subject. We are only recently beginning to see books which make any attempt to normalise those characters who have some form of disfigurement and, unfortunately, even where these attempts show some level of success there remains elements of the text which continue to single such characters out as different. Characters with disfigurements, within literature, are always 'othered'. Regardless of efforts to create positive images they continue to be marginalised showing a lack of cultural progression. The main issue is that these characters are defined by their disfigurement. When able bodied writers describe such characters, in most cases, the prominent feature becomes the disfigurement instead of a more generalised characteristic such as hair colour or height. This focus on what is morphologically different to, so called, societal norms forces the reader to formulate opinions about these characters based on preconceived cultural notions concerning difference. In this day and age, in my opinion, this is unacceptable as terms such as normal and abnormal, terms which result in boundaries between various social groups, should no longer be in use when discussing humanity with all of its wonderful diversity. Great video as always, definitely added a few books to my Wishlist x

29. Lynn Scott

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

I look forward to reading it 😍

30. CuriosityRocks

I love Christmas book season 😀

31. Lynn Scott

October 17, 2017 4:21 am

As always great book haul 🤗 I think I will have to pick up the Nutcracker for my niece for her Christmas (she is going to have the best book collection thanks to your channel). I was thinking maybe your next book could be about disfigurement, I am sure it would be a very real, heartfelt and cool story 😍